Application Cost: $100
This application is for licensure in the state of North Carolina only. To be eligible for the PLS license in North Carolina, the applicant must:
- Satisfy the education requirements per G. S. 89C-13 (G. S. 89C).
- Pass the FS and PS exams.
- Satisfy the experience requirements per G. S. 89C-13 (G. S. 89C) and present evidence satisfactory to the Board of a specific record of progressive surveying experience after the date of graduation that is of a grade and character that indicates to the Board that the applicant is competent to practice surveying.
- Submit an acceptable map.
- Maps should be a simple 18” x 24” single page plat.
- All maps must be from actual surveys and comply with the North Carolina Standards of Practice for Land Surveying (Board Rules). It must also comply with G. S. 47-30 (Mapping Requirements for Recordable Maps). For your reference, there is a sample map on the Board’s web site (Sample Map).
- All maps must contain a statement that the fieldwork, calculations and drawing was done by the applicant.
- The applicant’s name must be identified in the statement and signed by a Professional Land Surveyor.
- If after Board review the map needs to be revised, the applicant should cloud, describe and date the revisions.
- Pass the North Carolina State Specific Exam. The state exam tests an applicant’s knowledge of the laws, procedures and practices pertaining to land surveying in North Carolina. This is an open book exam administered at the Board office. Applicants may bring bound reference materials and a calculator as approved by NCEES (Approved Calculators).
The state exam is administered four times a year:
Exam Period & Deadline for Completed Application
- January / December 1st
- April / March 1st
- July / June 1st
- October / September 1st
Upon completion mail application to the Board office (Do not staple or fold application):
NC Board of Examiners for Engineers and Surveyors 4601 Six Forks Road, Suite 310 Raleigh, NC 27609
For questions regarding application status please e-mail email@example.com.
Educational institutions can send transcripts via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.