Upon passing the Fundamentals of Surveying (FS) and Principles and Practice of Surveying (PS) exams, and meeting the education and experience requirements, the applicant will then apply to the North Carolina Board to be seated for the North Carolina State Specific Exam. After passing this exam your license will be issued.
- Satisfy the education requirements per G. S. 89C-13 (G. S. 89C).
- Pass the FS and PS exams.
- Satisfy the experience requirements per G. S. 89C-13 (G. S. 89C) and present evidence satisfactory to the Board of a specific record of progressive surveying experience after the date of graduation that is of a grade and character that indicates to the Board that the applicant is competent to practice surveying.
- Submit an acceptable map.
- Maps should be a simple 18” x 24” single page plat.
- All maps must be from actual surveys and comply with the North Carolina Standards of Practice for Land Surveying (Board Rules). It must also comply with G. S. 47-30 (Mapping Requirements for Recordable Maps). For your reference, there is a sample map on the Board’s web site (Sample Map).
- All maps must contain a statement that the fieldwork, calculations and drawing was done by the applicant.
- The applicant’s name must be identified in the statement and signed by a Professional Land Surveyor.
- If after Board review the map needs to be revised, the applicant should cloud, describe and date the revisions.
- Pass the North Carolina State Specific Exam. The state exam tests an applicant’s knowledge of the laws, procedures and practices pertaining to land surveying in North Carolina, which includes testing what a PLS can do per G. S. 89C and the incidental drainage guidelines with respect to erosion control and surface drainage. This is an open book exam administered at the Board office. Applicants may bring bound reference materials and a calculator as approved by NCEES (Approved Calculators).
- State Specific Exam resources include but are not limited to:
The state exam is administered four times a year:
Exam Period & Deadline for Completed Application
- January 13, 2020 / December 1st
- July 13, 2020 / June 1st
- October 26, 2020 / September 1st
If completing a paper application mail it to the Board office (Do not staple or fold application):
NC Board of Examiners for Engineers and Surveyors 4601 Six Forks Road, Suite 310, Raleigh, NC 27609. For questions regarding application status please e-mail email@example.com.
Educational institutions can send transcripts via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
All military applicants are required to comply with the licensing requirements of G. S. 89C-13 (G. S. 89C) and Board Rule 21 NCAC 56.0601.
The Department of Veteran Affairs has approved NCEES (The National Council of Examiners for Engineers and Surveyors) per Section 21.4268 of Title 38 of the US Code of Federal Regulations, which allows the reimbursement of exam fees for surveyors (and engineers) who are military veterans. A veteran who takes any of the surveying (or engineering) exams offered by NCEES no matter where they took the exam or their state of residence should complete VA Form 22-0810 Application for Reimbursement of National Exam Fee and submit to the appropriate VA Regional Processing Office listed on page 2 of Form 22-0810. Help contact information for VA is also included in the instructions of the form.